Continuing with the breakfast theme for this month, exploring different types of breakfast aside from plain old oatmeal. With the cold season hot grainy breakfast is the perfect morning meal. So this week I am experimenting with millet seeds. This grainy seeds is more than just an interesting alternative to the more common grains, or bird food. Millet is a delicious grain that can accompany many types of food and bean excellent source for breakfast. On its own, millet is a little mundane and it’s a little nutty, but easily takes on the flavor of whatever you decided to top it with. The topping can make a significant difference. The topping is full of sweetness to enhance the millet and you’re left with a sweet and hearty breakfast.
- ½ cup dry millet
- 1 cup of chia seeds
- ½ cupof light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon of lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon of fresh lemon zest
- ½ cup of almond or soymilk
- 1 tablespoon of honey, and additional for serving
- 1-2 strawberry – chopped
- Fruits Coconut Milk
- Cherry Compote
- Coconut flakes
- Rinse millet in a small strainer until water runs clear. In a medium pot place millet and add 1 cups of water. Set the millet to medium high heat and when it starts boiling turn the heat down to low and cover the pot.
- After 10-15 minute all the water should be absorbed and the millet will be cooked
- Meanwhile chop strawberry and set it aside
- To Serve, spoon millet into a large bowl, add brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, lemon zest and milk (soy, coconut or almond). Mix everything together. Top with fresh strawberry, honey and fresh mint.